Despite a third period surge with goals from Ryan Callahan and Ryan McDonagh, the New York Rangers lost to the Ottawa Senators in a shootout, 3-2. For a complete box score of the game, check out Yahoo! Sports.
– Felt the overall effort was better in comparison to the Montreal game (a beer league game would have been better), but we've yet to see the Rangers play at the level they're capable of.
– Positive takeaway: The team grabbed a point in the standings. Sure, two points is always the goal but in a shortened season, you'll take points any way you can get them. The East continues to be very tight.
– It's been two games, but Rick Nash's absence can be felt. Despite only having three goals, he still creates offense and matchup problems nearly every shift. Here's hoping to him being back healthy for Saturday.
– JT Miller is going to have nightmares of that missed shootout attempt. Congrats to him on his first NHL assist.
Continue reading for my thoughts on Brad Richards' struggles, Ryan Callahan's response to his coach's plea for his top guys to play better and much more!
– Brad Richards' play is borderline alarming. He's stricken with over thinking and over analyzing, rather than letting the play come to him. It's tough to watch and it has to change.
– Maybe Richards should be asking Carl Hagelin for some of his confidence as he continues to be the best Rangers forward every game.
– Ryan Callahan with a Ryan Callahan goal. Torts sort of called out Callahan after Tuesday, saying his captain (along with others) could play better. And he did, scoring a clutch third period PP goal.
– Yes folks, the Rangers scored a power play goal. Rejoice!
– Really feel Jeff Halpern is rounding into form. He's been getting better each game and has stepped up in Darroll Powe's absence. Was robbed of a goal because of a quick whistle tonight, too.
– Rangers travel to Montreal for Saturday. Interesting to note: considering his struggles at the Bell Centre historically, does Torts go with Biron? Or does he come back with Lundqvist, who will be eager to get back in the W column?
– First loss of the season for someone other than Kevin writing the recap. The streak is over.
Follow me on Twitter @TheWrage. E-mail me with any questions or comments at Jwrabel9@hotmail.com