With the Islanders (55 pts.) picking up a point in their 2-1 shootout loss to the Sabres last night they moved into the 6th seed ahead of the Rangers (54 pts.) and Senators (54 pts.). The Rangers now need a minimum of one point today to clinch at least the 7th seed.
The sixth seed is also a real possibility but there's a lot of scenarios that need to playout:
The Rangers clinch the 6th seed if,
- Ottawa gains no more than two points in their remaining games.
- Rangers win their final game in regulation or overtime.
Ottawa clinches the 6th seed if,
- They earn three or more points in its final two games.
- They tie the Rangers in points but finish with more regulation/overtime wins (Ottawa bested the Rangers in their season series, giving them the second tiebreaker.)
The Islanders clinch 6th seed if,
- The Rangers lose its final game.
- Ottawa does not win either of its final two games in regulation or overtime, and gains no more than 2 points combined
Here are the standings…
…because the Rangers need at least a point today vs. the Devils to get out of that dreaded 8th seed, I think Torts has to start Lundqvist.